Venice: Venice Biennale; Cy Twombly at Ca’Pesaro (Galleria Internazionale d’Arte Moderna)

by Venetia Kapernekas

Upon arrival  in Venice on May 5th, a magical evening;to attend the exhibition Cy Twombly “Paradise” at “Ca’ Pesaro”; invited by elegant   Nicola del Roschio and Gagosian

Ca’ Pesaro (Galleria Internazionale d’Art Moderna) is a Baroque marble palace facing the Grand Canal, originally designed by Baldassarre Longhena in mid-17th century, the construction was completed by Gian Antonio Gaspari in 1710.

Ca'_Pesaro

IMG_3287

IMG_3292

In the exhibition, the early wall painting on wood dated 1951 leads, via an itinerary full of visions and references, to a selection of Twombly’s last works, produced 2011, when the artist was at the physical limit of his old age: eight paintings of gestural baroque circles in yellow, red and orange on a bright green background (half margarita, half key lime); eccentric circular strokes – among the key motifs of the artist – narrow in some places and broader, freer in others, to generate “a sensation of radiant energy and controlled frenzy”. (Galleria’s press) 

IMG_3289

IMG_3285

IMG_3281

fabulous reception and dinner given by Gagosian, followed at Scuola Grande di San Rocco.

The Scuola di San Rocco, protector against plague, which had struck Venice in that century) was established in 1478 by a group of wealthy Venetian citizens, next to the church of San Rocco, from which it takes its name.

In 1564 the painter Tintoretto was commissioned to provide paintings for the Scuola, and his most renowned works are to be found in the Sala dell’Albergo and the Sala Superiore. All the works in the building are by him, or his assistants, including his son Domenico: they were executed between 1564 and 1587

IMG_3340

IMG_3313

IMG_3323

 

IMG_3321

IMG_3326

 

IMG_3319

 

IMG_3322

photos@VK

The pictorial decorations of the rooms took Tintoretto until 1588 and constitutes one of the most fascinating pictorial undertakings ever known: from 1564 to 1567 the 27 canvases on the ceiling and walls of the Hall of the Hostel, where members of the Banca and Zonta who governed the brotherhood used to meet; from 1576 to 1581 the 25 canvases on the ceiling and walls of the Upper Hall; from 1582 to 1587 the eight large canvases in the Ground Floor Hall.

images

take a virtual tour here: galleries at Scuola di San Rocco 

Advertisements